A Problem

The place to talk about instruments, tab, the bands gear and anything else musically related.
DBS
Haunted

A Problem

Post by DBS »

I've never been image conscience at all with any of the bands i've been in. however, my band has been approached by a guy who's got a really solid voice but is an out and out emo. he was in a fairly big band before he asked to try out for vocals and he's got a lot of gig experience and contacts. he seems ok even though ive only spoken to him once but i really dont want to lump my band in with every single metal band coming out today by having a singer that looks and acts in the way this guy does. i could ask him to stop looking like a fruit but i doubt he would. opinions?
Bodom J wrote:I wish I was even a quarter as good looking as dbs.
Tony
Pimp

Post by Tony »

Just tell him that you guys are focused more on the music than your image. If that's just how he is, that's how he is. But if he's doing it just as his "gimmick" or whatever (a la Avenged Sevenfold) tell him to drop it or you guys just won't put up with him.
Good voice or not, the last thing a good band wants to happen is to be labeled a certain way based on how their lead singer dresses and not by the way their music sounds. Sadly enough, that's how shit works these days.

Elaborating a little more on the A7X shit...
When I was hanging out backstage at the CKY/A7x show and ran accross a couple members of Avenged they looked as normal as you or me. But 10 minutes before they went on stage they pulled out the leather and make-up and started getting ready.
I'm not a big fan of dude's wearing make-up, but if you're going to do it- do it because that's how you are all the time, not just when you're going to put on a show. And yes, that goes for KISS, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper etc. as well.
Bukkake Tsunami wrote: sig :tup:
My Neglected Blog/Personal Website: http://tonywills.com
My podcast, "Don't Get It Twisted": http://tonywills.com/dgitpod
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/don ... d903292456
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

Just take him, if he's good and you piss him off by telling him you don't like his image then you will probably regret it.
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

Tony wrote:Just tell him that you guys are focused more on the music than your image. If that's just how he is, that's how he is. But if he's doing it just as his "gimmick" or whatever (a la Avenged Sevenfold) tell him to drop it or you guys just won't put up with him.
Good voice or not, the last thing a good band wants to happen is to be labeled a certain way based on how their lead singer dresses and not by the way their music sounds. Sadly enough, that's how shit works these days.

Elaborating a little more on the A7X shit...
When I was hanging out backstage at the CKY/A7x show and ran accross a couple members of Avenged they looked as normal as you or me. But 10 minutes before they went on stage they pulled out the leather and make-up and started getting ready.
I'm not a big fan of dude's wearing make-up, but if you're going to do it- do it because that's how you are all the time, not just when you're going to put on a show. And yes, that goes for KISS, Marilyn Manson, Alice Cooper etc. as well.
I diagree with that last paragraph. A show is supposed to be entertaining. That's what it is, it's like rock and roll cabaret. I do goofy outfits for playing shows, but be damned if I'm walking around at Target with plaid pants and a bow-tie. Watching a band playing in what they wore to work or what they wear to the park is boring. Even bands like Motorhead have an "image" even if they do wear that silly shit the rest of the time.
Izzy: do you realize how broad "environmental science" is?
Izzy: it's like going to school for history
Izzy: well, more useful than that
Izzy: but an expert on the civil war won't know jackshit on uhh
Izzy: something that isnt the civil war
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

that's him. his appearance just isn't what i want to associate my band with, but i dont want to be judgemental and throw away a potentially awesome singer, especially when they are so scarce in my area.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

shave his head, punch him in the face and break those glasses.
everytime he says something "emo" kick him in the yam bag.
It's all about re-programming, and positive conditioning.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"
And why exactly would I change my name to "Schmeagle"?[/b]

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

DBS wrote:Image

that's him. his appearance just isn't what i want to associate my band with, but i dont want to be judgemental and throw away a potentially awesome singer, especially when they are so scarce in my area.
he looks like a gay Jean Claude VanDamm,
oh wait, Jean Claude is gay.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

[b]"Bukkake Tsunami". My two negro cats are fighting, the one missing a leg is winning.[/b]
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

You and your pals have long hair and make metal faces, you are image conscious. It's no big deal really. Think of it like this, do you think this kid is going to do shows looking like that when the rest of you look like heshers? I think he'll get the hint.

Otherwise, it might be an interesting gimmick. :lol:
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

Pflöyd wrote:You and your pals have long hair and make metal faces, you are image conscious. It's no big deal really. Think of it like this, do you think this kid is going to do shows looking like that when the rest of you look like heshers? I think he'll get the hint.

Otherwise, it might be an interesting gimmick. :lol:
it worked for Cheap Trick and Rainbow with Graham Bonnet (although I'm pretty sure that was unintentional)
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Post by 7Dime7MetalMassacre »

That is a pic of you , Fucking Faggot. Suck it :fu:
Suck me
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Clearly it is not.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
croninburg
Lynch Mob

Post by croninburg »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:

That is a pic of you , Fucking Faggot. Suck it :fu:
Shut up :roll:
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

haha just fucking around
Suck me
The Fear
Obsessed

Post by The Fear »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:haha just fucking around
Fuck around on another board.
down ass chic wrote:takes one to noone SLUT!
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

<THe_FeAR> wrote:
Fuck around on a busy interstate.
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Pflöyd wrote:
<THe_FeAR> wrote:
Your fukcing awesome :tup:
Suck me
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Pflöyd wrote:
<THe_FeAR> wrote:
Wher you lern that cool shit
Suck me
dead forever
Lynch Mob

Post by dead forever »

Shut up please.
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"]Also the only log touching I do is when I touch my own while thinking of hot chicks on this board.[/quote]
[quote="heavymetalsoldier666"] dead forever remove your avatar now.[/quote]
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

dead forever wrote:Shut up please.
no need to be polite.

SHUT THE FUCK UP ASSHOLE!!!! :aargh:
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

PABassPlayer wrote:
no need to be polite.

What a dickhead..........fag
Suck me
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

PABassPlayer wrote:
no need to be polite.

What a dickhead..........fag
good one!
jesus, now I know why I got so much shit when I first got on here.
New people are fucking annoying. I bet I was absolutely intolerable!
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Fuck son, i been following this thread since like 02, i use to have a different name, my computer fucked up and i didn't get to get on for a while. Don't fucking try to chasitize me you son of a bitch!
Suck me
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:Fuck son, i been following this thread since like 02, i use to have a different name, my computer fucked up and i didn't get to get on for a while. Don't fucking try to chasitize me you son of a bitch!
Well seeing as this THREAD has been going since oh YESTERDAY it just proves you're the biggest fucking cunt going with no understanding of any logic whatsoever. So do us ALL a favour and Disconnect
[quote="Edna Bodine"][quote="Richard The Duke"]What do you do when you take a monster shit and you realize that there is no toilet paper in the bathroom??[/quote]

pick it up and throw it out the window[/quote]
Hunter/Killer
Hunter/Killer

Post by Hunter/Killer »

as long as the person is willing play what you guys are doing, it shouldn't be a problem
... You're killing me, Smalls.
DBS
Haunted

Post by DBS »

i thought the emo guy would have fagged up this thread but instead it was 7metal7whateverhisnameis77.
PABassPlayer
Lynch Mob

Post by PABassPlayer »

DBS wrote:i thought the emo guy would have fagged up this thread but instead it was 7metal7whateverhisnameis77.
amen.
[b]"Psycho Gangster"

Roz
Magically Seditious

Post by Roz »

DBS wrote:i thought the emo guy would have fagged up this thread but instead it was 7metal7whateverhisnameis77.
wait you didn't tell your potential singer about the PBB did you?? :lol: :lol:
BassPhemy
Ms. Paltrow

Post by BassPhemy »

I'd be more worried about him writing emo lyrics than the way he looks. He'll get the hint after a practice or two, hopefully.
Uncle Touchy's Naked Puzzle Basement
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

I went through this situation last year with my band. The guy was a good singer. The first couple of months it was cool...then he turned into a complete faggot. Tried telling us how we should play, always saying we weren't dedicated enough, expected us to hang out with him all day..as if we had no outside life. Always tried getting us to do coke with him. Anytime we would come up with new material he would always say it was gay. Then he expected us to try to become a hard-core band..cause that's what he saw us doing. He always discouraged solos or complexity. Then he tried always singing melodic then wanted to go flat out emo. We tried being a dick to him about the whole situation...he didn't take us seriously. Made playing no fun at all. since then I have been discouraged from trying to start anything outside of instrumental projects. So, what i'm trying to say is.... keep the emo out!

On an up note: The faggot(who is 23) is in prison now for having sex with a 14 year old girl. :lol:
DeathSion
Cowboy From Hell

Post by DeathSion »

Also, when he first came into the band he was completely into black metal/death metal. He didn't start turning emo until after his gf dumped him. Then he did the whole make-up/skunk hair thing.
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

DeathSion wrote:Also, when he first came into the band he was completely into black metal/death metal. He didn't start turning emo until after his gf dumped him. Then he did the whole make-up/skunk hair thing.
:zzz:
[quote="Edna Bodine"][quote="Richard The Duke"]What do you do when you take a monster shit and you realize that there is no toilet paper in the bathroom??[/quote]

stoic
Lynch Mob

Post by stoic »

image is everything. and that motherfucker is wearing a scarf
Pfl?yd
Red Baron

Post by Pfl?yd »

stoic wrote:image is everything. and that motherfucker is wearing a scarf
:lol:
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

Pflöyd wrote:
stoic wrote:image is everything. and that motherfucker is wearing a scarf
:lol:

7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

Watw-Drums wrote:
7Dime7MetalMassacre wrote:Fuck son, i been following this thread since like 02, i use to have a different name, my computer fucked up and i didn't get to get on for a while. Don't fucking try to chasitize me you son of a bitch!
Well seeing as this THREAD has been going since oh YESTERDAY it just proves you're the biggest fucking cunt going with no understanding of any logic whatsoever. So do us ALL a favour and Disconnect
Silly Faggot Dicks are for Chicks :fu:
Suck me
Watw-Drums
Hail Dimebag

Post by Watw-Drums »

Watw-Drums wrote:
What the fuck are you talking about?

warhead dime
Trendkiller

Post by warhead dime »

Watw-Drums wrote:
Watw-Drums wrote:
What the fuck are you talking about?
:lol: Why did he say that?
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

:lll:
Suck me
ryanthemetalhead
Creampuff

Post by ryanthemetalhead »

Watw-Drums wrote:
i heard some 7th grader say that once...shows how mature you are man..haha :fu:
7Dime7MetalMassacre
I will fuck you up

ryanthemetalhead wrote:
Watw-Drums wrote:
i heard some 7th grader say that once...shows how mature you are man..haha :fu:
:fag: :fu:
Suck me